About The Borough of Topton
In 1754, Berks County became incorporated. Settlers lived in "long swamp". Farms were found to be underlaid with iron ore and as many as 100 mines opened in the area. Villages and hamlets were established and the area became known as "Longswamp" in 1761. In 1854, the Allentown Railroad Company constructed a railroad from Allentown to join the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad.
In 1859, the East Penn Railroad was extended from Reading to Allentown. On May 19th of that year, Judge George Stitzel, while inspecting the railroad, suggested to the community at the highest elevation be called Topton. In February 1876, the Borough of Topton was created. Topton, located in the northeast corner of Berks County, is surrounded by Longswamp Township, except for a small corner which is adjacent to Maxatawny Township. The population according to a 2010 census is 2,069.
POOL HOURS FOR END OF SEASON
MON. 8/24: 12:00 - 6:00PM MON. 8/31: 3:00 - 6:00PM
TUE. 8/25: 3:00 - 6:00PM TUE. 9/01: 3:00 - 6:00PM
WED. 8/26: 3:00 - 6:00PM WED. 9/02: 3:00 - 6:00PM
THU. 8/27: 3:00 - 9:00PM THR. 9/03: 3:00 - 6:00PM
FRI. 8/28: 3:00 - 8:00PM FRI. 9/04: 12:00 - 8:00PM
SAT. 8/29: 11:00 - 6:00PM SAT. 9/05: 11:00 - 6:00PM
SUN. 8/30: 12:00 - 6:00PM SUN. 9/06: 12:00 - 6:00PM
MON. 9/07: 12:00 - 6:00PM
Tough Choices to Move Forward
The Borough of Topton reluctantly has come to the decision to remove the wooden playground, more commonly known as Bullet Boardwalk. A motion was made and passed at the regularly scheduled Borough Council Meeting on August 10, 2015. Increased pressure from the Borough’s insurance carrier and a deteriorating structure has caused the Borough to take this course of action. The monumental project that in 1994 was done with the hard work and effort from our entire community has been the location of countless summer nights of children at play and provided numerous memories. The Borough extents its gratitude and thanks to Coordinator Donna Hordendorf, the many individuals, civic organizations and corporations that helped make the park possible in 1994. However, this location after 20 years has seen its time come and go. The Borough is hoping this will be the first step to revitalizing their 10 acre recreational land. Although we understand taking this structure down will come with sadness for some the Borough cannot move forward without moving from the past. Borough Employees will be present on Saturday September 12, 2015 from 11:00AM to 1:00PM for any community member who would like to have their namesake boards. Although many of these boards were damaged over the years, we feel it’s only right that the ones remain have the chance to be preserved. Those wishing to claim their namesake boards must be able to identify the location for it to be removed on the 12th of September by our designated employees. For more information please direct questions to the Borough Office.
Monday - Thursday:
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM